Life As An International Student

24.11.18

I Got A Job



It's been a long time since I posted and that is actually a post for another day. I have been switching from one platform to another and have finally come back to my first love which is Blogger. Today I am going to share my experience of getting a job in the US as an international student. This is just to help others in a similar situation as myself and if it can help one person they hey I will be so excited.

READ MORE
So I am a junior in college and I turn 21 in a few days and I just got my first job. Now before I tell you about how I got this job I just wanted to give you guys a background on why I wanted this job and the advantages of getting a job. For me, I wanted a job because of the experience. I had never worked before and so I did not know what to expect in that environment. I had never done an interview or written a resume and cover letter and that is not really good especially for someone that is looking for internships. Also, I wanted a sense of independence, there is something to be said about making your own money and paying your bills as well as paying taxes. Let me tell you taxes are really not fun.

It took me a long time to finally get a job and there are many reasons for this, one is because I just didn't want a job and another reason was that I was not motivated enough to look for one but as I started thinking of getting an internship my advisor suggested I get a job and join more sororities on campus and one of this is the Beta Alpha Psi and if you are an Accounting major then you know about that and there are also many more sororities for other majors. Also building a resume is very important when I started writing my resume I literally had nothing to write in it other than volunteer experiences and writing experience with my blog there was nothing else to fill the blanks and so getting a job was very important.

As an international student in America, the only place you can actually work is on campus and you would think it will be easy to get a job on campus but no it is not. The first thing I did was to talk with my advisor, she helped me search for opportunities that I was interested in and also the one that fit with my school schedule. The next thing was to create a resume and cover letter and how I did that was through my schools  "Academic and Career Development Centre" where they helped me develop and craft my resume perfectly. After that was the waiting game. I sent my applications to every department that was hiring and it took like 3 months before I got the call for an interview. After the interview 3 weeks later I got the job and I love it.

Getting this job was not easy but am happy I got it and also I have learned a lot from it. There is more to this story and hope you guys enjoy this and stay tuned to the next section. Please comment down below and let me know what you think.

Post a Comment